Please tell me if i should be worried about my amalgam filling?

14 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Theodore Davantzis answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Not to worry: Amalgam fillings have been used on billions of teeth for over 150 years... You'd think by now we would know if there was a health issue with their use. If you would like, you could always have your filling changed to a white composite... But it's not necessary.

Answered 12/28/2014

4.6k views

Dr. Pamela Pappas answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Very controversial: This is a very controversial subject, because it questions the practice of using mercury in people's mouths. As my dental colleague shared, this has been going on for 150 years. But that doesn't mean there are no adverse health consequences, or that safer practices aren't needed. For more info: http://tinyurl.Com/9tnr4mj don't worry, but do educate yourself and ask questions. Best wishes.

Answered 9/29/2016

4.6k views

Filling of silver: Should you be worried about your filling? Singular? I would likely say no. Depending on the size of the filling and how long it has been in place, i personally may be more worried about the tooth. Amalgam fillings are held in the tooth by mechanical retention. The tooth is undercut to hold the filling in place. The larger the filling the weaker the tooth.

Answered 12/29/2013

4.6k views

Dr. Paul Grin answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Safe and durable: The amalgam is a safe and durable choice. Most research finds no relationship between fillings and symptoms of mercury poisoning or other side effects. Advances in modern dental technology allow to place tooth colored composite fillings instead of amalgam fillings to restore the natural appearance of the tooth.

Answered 5/25/2015

2.8k views

It depends: If the concern is about the toxicity of amalgam, there is no scientific basis to support the hype about release of mercury from the alloy into the body. If the concern is about amalgams that have been placed a long time ago, just like any material amalgam also has a life span and it breaks down after a few years. It leaks and will need to be replaced.

Answered 5/25/2015

2.8k views