Lake Oswego, OR

left foot falls asleep / goes numb about 2.5 miles into runs. have loosened shoe laces, still happens. lasts for two miles. how to prevent?

Dr. Ki-Hon Lin
Orthopedic Surgery 25 years experience
Pinched nerve: This could very well be due to a pinched nerve in your lumbar spine. There are other peripheral nerve compressions which could also cause similar symptoms. You may have to dial down your running regimen, or cross train with a nonimpact exercise such as elliptical, until symptoms improve. See a physician if the symptoms persist.
Dr. Dale Vancil
Podiatry 37 years experience
Need more info: You need to be more descriptive. Is the whole foot there goes numb or just a portion and what portion. Local nerve entrapment a can occur. They can be brought on by your running pattern, by the shoes you wear, your overall foot structure and most likely a combination of all. Give more information, that's why someone hasn't answered this question earlier.