Salem, MA

I had my gallbladder removed yesterday at 9am. the incisions around my belly button are a lot more soar today than yesterday. is this normal?

Dr. John Fung
General Surgery 39 years experience
Yes: At the time of laparoscopic surgery, the surgeons will use a local anesthetic to numb the incision. That effect will wear off in 12-24 hours, so it is normal to experience more port site pain for the next couple of days. Take the Percocet as prescribed and the pain should start to subside within a few days.
Dr. John Munshower
Yes: As the anesthesia wears off and your adrenaline from surgery decreases to normal levels, the discomfort may intensify. Discuss with your surgeon, as mild pain medications can be used post-op. Best wishes.

Last updated Jun 30, 2014