6-y-o w/ hives on arms & legs. ped. advised hydrocortisone and benadryl (diphenhydramine) every 4 hrs. after 8 hrs, still red, puffy, itchy. should we try loratadine?

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 57 years experience
Loratadine: Loratadine (claratin is same only costs more) is far superior to benadryl (diphenhydramine). It is a mystery to me that any dr would use Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for anything except as a sleeping pill. In children it may have the opposite effect, making them agitated. You may need to take the child to a dermatologist. Is it really hives or is it excoriated eczema?
Dr. Ahmet Aybar
Pediatric Gastroenterology 31 years experience
Hives : You can give Benadryl (diphenhydramine) every 6 hours as needed sometimes hives persist due to delayed allergic reaction and may require multiple doses
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 57 years experience
There are several kinds of hives. Benadryl is inferior to newer anti histamines and often has side effects. Best approach is to go to a dermatologist in order to properly define the problem and the best remedies.
Aug 4, 2014