I'm trying to find out which insulin may be better for me. Apidra (insulin glulisine) or novalog. My insurance doesn't consider apidra (insulin glulisine) to be a preferred brand anymore..

Dr. Philip Kern
42 years experience in Endocrinology
Fast acting insulin: They are both fast acting insulin, with about the same onset of action and duration. Novalog is fine, and it is not worth paying extra for apidra (insulin glulisine).
Answered on Mar 19, 2014
4
4 comments
1
Dr. Daniel Mintz
64 years experience in Diabetology
There are some claims for more rapid onset with Apidra; offering the apparent advantage of use following a meal (an advantage if eating out) but differences are minimal and Novolog has long history of successful use
Mar 19, 2014
Dr. Rhonda Simons
14 years experience in Family Medicine
I think Apidra is running a "No Copay" card presently, so if finances are an issue, look into that, as generally DM's are on quite a few expensive drugs! Check out. www.Apidra.com to see if they are still out there. But I have LOTS of happy people on Apidra because they are also on Victoza for PP sugars, and sometimes they can't eat what is on their plate, Apidra can be taken right after you eat
Mar 19, 2014
Dr. Rhonda Simons
14 years experience in Family Medicine
....so if your eyes were bigger than your tummy, you won't bottom out. Always carry emergency sugar gel/tabs wherever you go, and let closest friends & family know where it is...just in case.
Mar 19, 2014