Decatur, GA

Ifi have proteus mirabilis in my urine and i don't wash my hands after using the bathroom. can i transfer it to things i touch or my mouth?

Dr. John Hanna
Unlikely: This is an organism that can cause a urinary infection. Yes you can colonize the organism to your hands and then transfer to other objects, (doorknob etc.. ). But to then translate that into another individual getting a urinary tract infection would be very difficult. First it is about quantity or microbes transferred, then location to transfer it to, and lastly susceptibility of the other pers.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Mar 15, 2014