I have very bad cramps in my calves and feet especially at night. what would be your best advice to make these better or go away?

4 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. James Dukelow answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Night cramps: Cramps in muscles of the lower extremity while sleeping (or trying to) are called night cramps. These are a result of muscle metabolism and the accumulation of Lactic Acid in the tissues, resulting in painful contraction. Some things to consider are: proper hydration and electrolyte balance, such as calcium and potassium. Gatorade and similar drinks have such electrolytes.

Answered 9/28/2016

4.3k views

Dr. Hubert Lee answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Leg cramps: Try these tips to reduce your cramps. Stretch your calf muscles during the day and again before bed. Avoid sitting for long periods of time. Regular exercise such as walking can help improve circulation and prevent spasms. Eat a well-balanced diet with adequate calcium, potassium, and magnesium. Remember to stay well hydrated. And if the cramps don't improve, see your doctor.

Answered 10/24/2017

4.3k views