U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 35-year-old member asked:

What biochemical tests are needed if kidney disease?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Alan Haratz
Internal Medicine 43 years experience
BUN/Creatinine: Serum should be tested for blood urea nitrogen and creatinine to assess for the presence of kidney dysfunction. A complex formula is used to estimate kidney function or estimated glomerular filtration rate. This formula utilizes serum creatinine, age, sex, and race. Sometimes we utilize another serum study called cystatin c which may give us more information. Urinalysis is also needed.
Dr. James Cain
Nephrology and Dialysis 37 years experience
Blood and urine: Urinalysis with tests for protein, glucose, blood, bilirubin, pH and specific gravity, blood tests for na, k, cl, creatinine, urea, bicarbonate (sodium bicarbonate) are a good starting point. Many other tests may be needed depending on these chemistry tests as well as hematology and urine microscopy, ultrasound and serologic testing.

Related questions

A 48-year-old member asked:
What urine tests are needed for chronic kidney disease?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 34-year-old member asked:
How do you test for polycystic kidney disease?
3 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
A member asked:
Can polysistic kidney disease cause a fals pregnancy test ?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Last updated Aug 14, 2020
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.