U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 32-year-old member asked:

How can i treat a burn/how can i prevent scarring?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Zahid Niazi
Cosmetic Surgery 40 years experience
Silvadene (silver sulfadiazine) cream: Yes, silvadene (silver sulfadiazine) cream1% used twice daily helps heal burn and other wounds. This is a prescription medication. See your pcp. Scar management is best addressed by your local plastic surgeon but the otc care usually includes use of moisturizers, sunblock, scar care creams or silicone gel sheets etc.
Dr. Jovita Anyanwu
Internal Medicine 31 years experience
Significant : Burn injury require specialized care to reduce complications and minimize scarring . Evaluation to determine extent and percentage of burn and appropriate care

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 35-year-old member asked:

What can I do to prevent my fresh burn from scarring?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jeremy White
Surgery - Plastics 17 years experience
See Plastic Surgeon: This depends on the extent and depth of your burn. A very deep burn (full thickness) often requires excision of the damaged area. If it is very superficial, certain creams or gels can help. See a plastic surgeon for a consultation.
Last updated Sep 5, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.