United Kingdom (Great Britain)

Why can't i get wellbutrin (bupropion) in the uk for depression? is it that dangerous? my gp will only prescribe zyban for quiting smoking and only for 9 weeks!

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine 50 years experience
Not dangerous: I do not know why bupropion is not approved in the uk, except zyban for smoking cessation. It is no more dangerous (and many would say far less) than the ssri and snri drugs (effexor, prozac, paxil, (paroxetine) zoloft etc etc). It is one of the few antidepressants not associated with weight gain or sexual dysfunction, and the rate of seizures, of concern, is really low. See if doc will order from us/canada...
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jul 23, 2015