I have bipolar schizophrenia ptsd i was abused/tortured as a child my doctor said that triggered my disorders can they be triggered from environment ?

8 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Natalie Geary answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

I am sorry for our difficulties. You need to find a very skilled psychiatrist to manage. Usually environment only " triggers" basd on associations.

Answered Feb 7, 2014

4.5k views

Dr. Dale Carrison answered

Specializes in Emergency Medicine

Yes, but there is usually a genetic connection. Check your family history on both sides of your family. Twin studies have indicated a definite family connection. Most important to take your medications and stay on them. Unfortunately too many people with your medical condition feel better after taking the medications and then stop and have a relapse. Continue your counseling! important!

Answered Jun 19, 2015

4.5k views

Dr. Carlos Barrios answered

Specializes in Child Psychiatry

If it has been so severe and chronic that a usual sequence would be ptsd first, then psychotic features from initial flashback. Eventually the personality becomes so fragile it detaches from reality. Add to this genetic vulnerabilities that are not apparent to people in the family. Many reasons abuse in families can make it difficult to get all the data. Environment and genes are key.

Answered May 7, 2015

3.8k views

Dr. William Coutts ii answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Your PTSD is most likely from your abuse and torture as a child. Bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are due to genetics and hormonal imbalances. The same hormones that regulate your menstrual cycle also have great impact on your brain function. Find a doctor that understands this connection.

Answered Dec 4, 2014

3.8k views

Dr. Judith Tellerman answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

It is hard to reveal abuse & torture to your Dr. for help with PTSD & Anxiety - consult with a Clinical Psychologist for psychotherapy to help you with ZOOM sessions, a Psychiatrist for medication & a PCP for a physical exam to rule out illness. Your fears and anxiety could be heightened because of the Covid-19 pandemic. Stay safe, cautious & hold on to hopefulness to elevate your immune system.

Answered Dec 12, 2020

19 views