United Kingdom

Why does mefenamic acid decrease female fertility what does it do to a female body ie ovulation hormaones?

Dr. Gerard Honore
Fertility Medicine 29 years experience
It doesn't : I answered this a day ago, and don't usually repeat so you can get answers from other doctors. Since you're still asking and no ones answering, i say again: it doesn't. I wasn't guessing. Ponstel (mefenamic acid) (in the us) is a drug like advil or ibuprofen. It doesn't affect fertility. There are rhesus monkey studies where high doses of NSAID inhibit ovulation, but if you're not a monkey i wouldn't fret. :).
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology 30 years experience
NSAID: Mefenamic acid is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory / anti-prostaglandin (NSAID) medication that can be used to decrease menstrual pain and to decrease menstrual blood loss. Nsaid's are know to inhibit implantation, so it could interfere with the establishment of a pregnancy in the endometrial lining of the uterus. It would not have an effect specifically on the cycle or on ovulation.

Last updated Jun 30, 2014