U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 24-year-old female asked about a 40-year-old male:

What medication would be effective in combination with therapy in treating oppositional defiant disorder? therapy alone isn't working. which meds help

1 doctor answer5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Emma Rishton
Clinical Psychology 14 years experience
Psychiatric Eval: Starting medication is a big step. Get a comprehensive psychiatric evaluation. If medication is the next step you want to be sure it is monitored. Talk to the therapist about your concerns, it might be helpful to try something different in therapy and/or more sessions. Groups can be helpful for both parents and children. Best wishes and good luck.
Dr. Mara Fiorentino
Psychiatry 37 years experience
Guanfacine is a good adjuvant to stimulants in case of defiant and disruptive disorder. Sometimes some mood stabilizers like lamictal, depakote or tegretol may be effective.
Jan 29, 2014

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Nov 28, 2017
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.