What herb is good for agitation and irritability?

Dr. Robert Golenbock
Yokukansan: The japanese herb yokukansan can treat agitation, but it may also lower potassium. I have no experience with it. The popular sleep aid valerian may also make you calm, but it has potentially sedative effects. If you are looking for a "natural" solution, try learning to meditate.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Bettina Herbert
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
One of my favorites is lemon balm. It's a member of the mint family and therefore grows very easily. Make a tea daily, or you can buy a tincture or in capsules. Passionflower also can be useful. Deep breathing with a longer exhalation than inhalation is calming. Also look for the cause of agitation, perhaps it is diet or sleep-related.
Feb 23, 2013
Last updated Aug 18, 2013