NC

Five month old had been on omnicef (cefdinir) for almost 48 hrs and still irritable and restless at night. does this mean it's not working?

Dr. Al Hegab
Dr. Al Hegabanswered
Allergy and Immunology 42 years experience
Yes: May be it's viral and the antibiotic won't help, may be the baby needs dose adjustment/other medications, kindly get your child rechecked, good luck
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Not necessarily: Irritability in an infant with otitis is related to the pressure caused by the fluid/infection and the discomfort caused by fever.I find the omnicef a day or so slower than amoxicillin or Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) in producing symptom change.It relates to the way the med works and the difficulty getting it into the middle ear muck through the blood.I'd expect the fever gone soon,if not, call in for phone followup
Last updated Apr 24, 2016