do doctors charge more for robot surgery?

Dr. Valentin Drezaliu
No: The hospital may charge you extra if the costs are not covered by insurance.
Dr. Renee Harris
We can: Docors can charge whatever they decide for any procedure. We are paid on a schedule by the insurance companies with whom we have contracts. The payments are the same no matter the method of the surgery, so the short answer is we are paid the same for either. Most of us also charge the same.
Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Gynecology 43 years experience
No: Doctors charge according to the procedure performed, not according to the technique they use. A robot hysterectomy requires extra training for a physician, and may require longer to perform than an open procedure, but i personally find those costs are balanced by the benefits to my patients. It is gratifying as a physician to see the excellent results with robotic techniques.
Dr. Jeffrey Cohen
Colon and Rectal Surgery 29 years experience
No: Gemerally the same and is covered by insurance.
Dr. Lillian Schapiro
Doctors actually are paid the most by insurance companies currently for a traditional laparotomy. Reimbursements for laparoscopic and robotic procedures are the same.
Aug 11, 2012
Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Specializes in Gynecology
Depends on the provider and insurance. In general no.
Oct 29, 2012
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
General Surgery 39 years experience
See below: While there may be a slightly higher code for a surgeon performing robotic surgery, the hospital charges would be significantly increased for the procedure. Also the surgical time for robotic surgery is usually a longer time in the operating room, also resulting in a larger charge for the time in the operating room from the hospital.
Dr. Loki Skylizard
Thoracic Surgery 20 years experience
Generally NO: The cost of equipment and supplies are generally more expensive for robotic procedures. For surgeons to safely provide robotic surgery, they require more training and experience. The procedures often can take longer then other techniques. However, it is common for the insurance companies to pay less for the surgeon services and procedure.
Dr. Gregg Nishi
Bariatrics 22 years experience
Cost: Some do, but in general, most just charge the same whether it is robotic or just laparoscopic. Robotic surgery is like having a better set of instruments. I enjoy using them and it helps me, but i don't charge patients for it.
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
General Surgery 39 years experience
While the surgeon does not charge more, the hospital will very likely charge much more for the use of the robotic device and supplies.
Sep 26, 2013
Dr. Jamal Mourad
No!: Robotic technology is simply a tool that allows the surgeon to have better visualization and dexterity when performing minimally invasive surgery. The surgeons fee is the same regardless of what tools are being utilized
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Probably not: Most physicians use a standardized fee schedule for their charges. The charge for a hysterectomy can vary a small amount depending on the specific route. The charge for surgery also varies when the ovaries and / or tubes are removed and when there are other associated and related procedures (anterior and/or posterior vaginal repairs for prolapse, or support procedures for urinary incontinence).
Dr. Richard Sarle
Urology 22 years experience
Extra: Some surgeons do most do not
Dr. James Lin
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Price-gouging is game-play and common in all walks of profession; unfortunately, this is reality.
Jan 16, 2015
Dr. Richard Sarle
Urology 22 years experience
Provided original answer
Some robotic surgeons is major cities like NYC take cash only; the majority work within your insurance plan; I would argue there are room any solid robotic surgeons who take cash to bother wasting your money on a "so called" expert. The docs who take insurance often have the same expertise or more.
Sep 8, 2015