Durham, NC

hct 44%, hgb 14.3, mch 26.5, mcv 84, mchc 31.6, platelets 231. ferretin 23. can i increase ferritin with iron sups? or will i need iv iron?

Pathology 44 years experience
You're actually okay: This is a normal serum ferritin in nanograms/milliliter for a spot test in most labs. You are not anemic. The 50-150 range that you may have seen is the target for people who were once iron-overloaded and are now having iron removed. You're lower than most men, but without any sign of sickness. If you're a vegetarian, you should supplement iron plus B12 and some others.