TN

If an adult has already sought medical help for feeling suicidal, but still wants to die is there legal advice they can seek to help them succeed?

Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology 36 years experience
I'm going to choose: Understanding 'succeed' as surviving this terribly difficult time and finding a better situation (i expect you could mean death - and no dr here will enable that), i fully acknowledge that not all efforts to help are effective - but there will be a winner if you keep sampling. I know that is asking a lot from someone in distress, but it is true. As to being billed, if you can't pay - you can't.
Dr. James Wells
Don't give up yet!!: A problem with suicide is that it is a permanent solution to problems that in the absence of profoundly debilitating, untreatable, physical conditions are usually temporary and can nearly always be overcome. Please say more about why you are thinking of suicide and about what treatments you have thus far received. Low-dose Abilify (aripiprazole) (2 to 5 mg daily) often stops suicidal thinking within days.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Seeking help?: You say you've "already sought medical help" -- but have you received it? Or did you refuse it? You might find an attorney who would fight for a suicidal person's right to kill himself, but this might be an ill professional. Attorneys have professional ethical codes, even if they don't swear to protect and care for people's lives as physicians do. I suggest therapy for your suicidality.

Last updated Jun 24, 2014