Gilbert, AZ

saw doc yesterday about sore throat and canker, said virus.last night one eye irritation, conjunctiva red, watering all night-eyelashes little stuck together.conjunctivitis?how to treat or see reg doc?

Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 28 years experience
Flu Season: This is very common and is usually just part of the viral illness. If it is worsening, then yes, a visit at the family clinic may be indicated.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 52 years experience
Likely to be virus: You have described the classic findings of viral conjunctivitis. As long as there is not frank pus and minimal disturbance of the vision, you can 'treat' it by keeping it clean and waiting for your natural immunity to get rid of the virus. Antibiotics do not affect virus infections (like the common cold). See a doctor only if the vision fades, there is pain or much pus.
Dr. Pamela Paulhus
Sounds like it.: It's difficult to diagnose this without seeing the patient, but it does sound like it. Be sure you wash your hands well, and do your best to avoid rubbing the eye. Get to your doc asap for an evaluation and treatment plan. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Dr. Jon Fishburn
Ophthalmology 30 years experience
Conjunctivitis: Your symptoms definitely seem compatible with a viral syndrome also involving the eye (conjunctivitis). Try not to spread the virus to your other eye or others. Clean the secretions with a clean washcloth with warm water, and you may use artificial tears ; ocular decongestant like naphcon a™ for comfort. Also tylenol (acetaminophen) or advil and plenty of fluids and rest. Takes about 7 to 10 days to clear.