U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 33-year-old member asked:

What's the best treatment for fibroids?

4 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. John Kirk
Obstetrics and Gynecology 28 years experience
Depends: The answer depends on a patient's goals. To rid oneself forever from the fibroid challenge a hysterectomy is definitive. A myomectomy removes the fibroids but leaves the remainder of the uterus behind. Fibroids can regrow as it is generally impossible to remove all fibroid cells. Uterine artery embolization will shrink the fibroids but rarely removes them entirely. Medication can help, also.
Dr. Denise Elser
Specializes in Gynecology
Depends: Depends on your symptoms & goals. Are you having pain or heavy bleeding, pelvic pressure or mass in pelvis? Are you planning pregnancy or done having kids? Was fibroid found on us and no symptoms? Options are: observation, hormones, myomectomy (surgery to remove the fibroids), uterine artery embolization, or hysterectomy (remove the uterus).
Dr. Neeoo Chin
Dr. Neeoo Chin commented
Fertility Medicine 41 years experience
MRI guided ultrasound waves have also been used to treat fibroids.
Apr 6, 2012
Dr. Johnnie Ham
Obstetrics and Gynecology 23 years experience
Fibroids: I like uterine artery embolization, done by an interventional radiologist, if there is a need to treat it at all. Otherwise, Lupron (leuprolide) can shrink it, a myomectomy can remove it, but leave the uterus, or a hysterectomy can get it all out.
Dr. Scott Kramer
Gynecology 37 years experience
Surgery: No medication permanently shrinks fibroid tumors. If you have symptoms options exist to help improve them: myomectomy (cutting out fibroids, repairing uterus) for women who desire future pregnancy hysterectomy (fibroid uterus removal), preferably laparoscopic or vaginal routes, best choice if family complete uterine artery embolization - injection of foam to block uterus blood supply.

Similar questions

Saudi Arabia
A 49-year-old female asked:

There is any treatment for fibroid?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Amrit Singh
Cardiology 52 years experience
Many: Hope u mean uterine fibroids. If small they can be treated with catheter coil intervention to cause clot to cut their blood supply and they disappear. if large may need surgery, if multiple may need hysterectomy.

Related questions

A 35-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 21-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 41-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 35-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 43-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Last updated Sep 28, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.