Brazil

can my 10 year old who weighs 155 pounds take an adult dose of tylenol (acetaminophen) if he has a fever?

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine 40 years experience
Yes: In this case weight is more important than age in determining dose. But i advise against taking anything to lower fever unless he is miserable, as fever is a key aspect of how our bodies fight infections- our immune system works better and bacteria ; viruses have difficulty surviving high temps. Reducing fever sabotages your immune system and prolongs the infection! treat discomfort, not fever.
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker commented
Holistic Medicine 40 years experience
Provided original answer
Not treating fever is now an official recommendation of the American Academy of Pediatrics- see http://on.today.com/1cZ7O8p
Dec 28, 2013