U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 25-year-old male asked:

Is ambien (zolpidem) cr right for me if i have insomnia and mild depression due to insomnia?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Donald Colantino
Internal Medicine 62 years experience
Avoid hypnotics: One should avoid taking sleeping pills if possible as they are habit forming. See a specialist in sleep disorders to help your sleep disturbance. If the depression is not due to the insomnia, then an evaluation by a psychologist or psychiatrist is recommended.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Recommend trying: sleep hygiene and medications that are not habit forming first. Retire & rise same time each day. Bedroom should be dark & cool - used only for sex & sleep. Turn off tv. No naps. Exercise regularly but not in late evening. No caffeine for 6 hrs & no alcohol or tobacco w/i 2 hrs of sleep. Dinner should be moderate sized & finished at least 2 to 3 hours before sleep. Can try warm milk, chamomile tea
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Nov 28, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.