do immunizations prevent the flu in children?

Dr. Thad Woodard
Specializes in Pediatrics
Yes: For children older than 6 mo appropriate influenza immunization is pretty effective in preventing influenza.
Dr. Scott Katz
Yes: The flu vaccine is recommended for all children over 6 months old and is the best prevention, but is not 100% effective. If everyone got a flu shot every year, we would rarely have epidemics. However, most people don't get flu shots. One other issue is that there are many different strains of the flu, and some years the vaccine may not "match" the infection.
Yes: The flu vaccine is available for children 6 months and older. Protection from the vaccine is pretty good, but some children only get partial protection after the vaccine, and so might still catch the flu virus (although their flu symptoms should be milder).
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-healy
Yes: Only the influenza vaccine can help protect your baby againt the "flu". No vaccine will cover you 100% but if your child would get the flu it is generally a milder case. The current guidelines recommend the vaccine for any baby over 6 months of age.
Dr. Mark Diamond
Yes: Flu shots are available for children older than 6 months of age. Although the shots can not gurantee 100% protection, they greatly increase your child's protection. In our region, the vast majority of chidren requiring hospitalization for influenza were either poorly or not immunized.
Dr. Yash Khanna
Yes Flu Vaccine: Yes FLU VACCINE IS RECOMMENDED TO BE GIVEN TO ALL CHILDREN OVER THE AGE OF 6 MONTHS AND IT DOES PREVENT FLU