please explain how long does it take childrens advil (ibuprofen) to kick in?

Dr. Keith Ramsey
Adolescent Medicine 36 years experience
About: 45 minutes to an hour. It depends on how full the stomach already.

Are children who get the MMR vaccine at higher risk for autism?

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
No: The study that seemed to suggest otherwise turned out to be a fake.

If my child has not had an adverse reaction to a vaccine, can I be sure he will not have one in the future?

Dr. Michael Coogan
No: Any medicine or procedure has inherent risks and benefits. However, the actual risk of an vaccine adverse event happening is very small. Nevertheless, if you think your child may have had an adverse event following immunization, let your doctor know, develop a plan of action with her, and consider whether to report it to the vaers. Website: http://www.Cdc.Gov/vaccinesafety/activities/vaers.Html.

If my child has a fever, will he have a febrile seizure?

Dr. Ruben Nazario
Specializes in Pediatrics
No: Febrile seizures are common in children between 6 months and 6 years of age. They occur when your child's temperature raises rapidly. So, no, not all children with fevers will have a febrile seizure. About one in twenty-five children in this age group will have a febrile seizure. But the risk is slightly higher if your child has a sibling who has had a febrile seizure in the past.

Is it safe to take ibuprofen while pregnant?

Dr. M Gray-Swain
No: Ibuprofen is an NSAID and you should not take this in pregnancy unless directed by your obstetrician for a few very specific indications. For fever, headaches and pains that you might take Ibuprofen for outside of pregnancy take tylenol (acetaminophen) for in pregnancy unless you are allergic to tylenol (acetaminophen) or have liver disease. Alleve is also not to be taken in pregnancy.
Dr. George Valdez
Specializes in Family Medicine
It is most dangerous in the last trimester, can cause newborn heart issues.
Nov 7, 2011

How can I tell if my childs skin rash is from exposure to poison oak?

Dr. Pamela Lindor
Contact dermatitis: Poison ivy, oak and sumac all contain the same substance which causes a severe contact skin reaction in most people. The rash will appear from about 24-48 hours after the exposure to the plant oil. It is red, raised, very itchy and often has a seepy discharge or blisters. It will often appear in "streaky" lines on the areas which were exposed. Rash on the face can cause a lot of swelling.