Hardly slept at a for more than a week. tried, valerian root, melatonin, kava, motrinpm, ambien, and xanax (alprazolam). xanax (alprazolam) helped two nights but does not work now.also tried relaxation techniques suggested.help?

10 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

You have tried many alternatives but have tried psychotherapy to uncover the root causes of your sleep disturbance. If not seek a consultation with a mental health professional who specializes in treating insomnia, this could very helpful to you. Best.

Answered Nov 28, 2017

4.7k views

Dr. Robert Killian answered

Specializes in General Practice

I would say that it is time to stop all of these pills. Your approach to your sleep fears/obsession/problem is not working. It surely sounds like there is a bit of an addiction problem. But, first you will fall asleep. It is impossible to not fall asleep eventually and then to learn how to sleep again will come next. I often recommend for the long term mediation or breathing techniques to sleep.

Answered Dec 20, 2013

4.7k views

Dr. Warren Wolfe answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Insomnia has many causes from psychiatric causes to hormonal causes. My advice is to consult with your family physician and have him/her run some blood tests and then possibly refer you to a sleep specialist.

Answered May 23, 2017

4.7k views

Dr. Pamela Pappas answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

If you're not sleeping for over a week, there are multiple possible causes including bipolar hypomania or mania, intoxication with stimulants, withdrawal from alcohol or other drugs, etc. You need to see a physician -- preferably a psychiatrist -- in person for an evaluation to see what's going on and to get the right kind of help. Best wishes.

Answered Aug 6, 2017

4.7k views