HI

I take dexedrine and find myself only able to study when i am on xanax (alprazolam) >4mg. i'm not abusing it. it helps me study for school. is this uncommon?

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Who is prescribing?: I'm wondering whether you're working with a psychiatrist? With this combination of medicines you really need to be. You don't state the amount of Dexedrine you're taking, but that one in particular has a high potential for habituation and abuse. Also routinely taking >4mg of xanax (alprazolam) to "study" is a very high dose which in the long run is addictive. It's also "uncommon" to use in this way.
Dr. James Wells
Dr. James Wells commented
I think that Xanax in particular is especially risky from the standpoint of developing habituation and then having very serious withdrawal symptoms if stopped suddenly. I think 4 mg is a very high dose, thus increasing such risks. If you or anyone in your family has had problems with alcohol, then the risks from Xanax are even higher.
Dec 13, 2013
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Provided original answer
I agree, Dr. Wells.
Dec 14, 2013

Last updated Jun 25, 2014