United Kingdom

My boyfriend and i want a baby, would it be safe to get pregnant while i'm suffering from graves' disease?

Dr. Philip Kern
Endocrinology 44 years experience
Graves pregnancy: The graves hyperthyroidism can be controlled, but once you become pregnant, then the use of drugs becomes more difficult. Talk to your endocrinologist. One strategy would be to ablate your thyroid with radioactive iodine, or surgically remove the thyroid, prior to pregnancy.
Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 29 years experience
I agree. I would get the Graves dealt with, get you back to a normal state of health before you try to get pregnant. You have many years of health ahead of you. There is no rush.
Dec 11, 2013

Last updated Dec 11, 2013