please answer! i have an estrogen patch question. can i cut it and use like half or third to save money?

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Specializes in Endocrinology
Not recommended: The patch is designed to deliver a constant and predictable amount of hormone. By cutting it, you will ruin the integrity of the patch leading to erratic hormone release and most likely suboptimal dose. If the dose is suboptimal, you might as well not use it at all as it can do more harm than good, especially if you are dealing with a hormone. Talk to your doc. There might be cheaper alternatives.
Dr. Michael Sinclair
Bioidentical might: Some doctors are using bioidentical hormones which are made by a compounding pharmacist for one patient at a time. This may be cheaper than name brand estrogen patches.