i've got new dentures and my lower gums are quite sensitive since then. how can i toughen them?

Dr. Dinh Bui
Dr. Dinh Buianswered
Dentistry 23 years experience
Adjust the denture: Your gums will toughen itself with the denture functioning. However, denture needs adustment after delivery. Wear the denture for 24 hours prior to your appointment will help the dentist to identify the area of adjustment on your denture using pressure indicating paste (pip). Brush the gum and keep the sore area clean to prevent bacterial superinfection int he trauma area. Call your dentist.
Dr. Debra Haselton
Prosthodontics 27 years experience
Denture adjustment: It is not unusual to need a few adjustments after getting new dentures, especially on the lower jaw. The gums don't really toughen--the denture should be adjusted where there is excess pressure. If the "bite" is off a little, it can cause this problems as well -- ask your dentist to check your "bite" as well as the fitting surface. Also consider dental implants for the lower!