Should i get a 2nd oppinion over the last 31/2 weeks i have had all my teeth pulled so i can get dentures, this past week i had my bottoms pulled and today is day 6 and my lower gums are tender of course but the problem is i have two areas on the right si

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 42 years experience
It : It could be a bone fragment, but it can also be the edge of the socket where the tooth was pulled. Those edges can be razor sharp, and if your healing gum is pushing on it, it will be quite painful. Have the dentist take a look. No need to be suffering this much almost a week after the extractions. These things do happen from time to time, not out of the ordinary.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Ronald Konig
Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry
There : There is a possiblility you may have what is called a dry socket. This usually has a foul odor as well. If you are not working with an oral surgeon, perhaps have an oral surgeon take a look at the area. An oral surgeon is a specialist in extracting teeth and facial surgery. Hope you feel better.
Dr. Tony Chammas
Prosthodontics 27 years experience
Go : Go back to your dentist and have them take an x-ray to verify the presence of a bone fragment. However a bone fragment early on during this process would not cause that much pain unless it is infected. On the other hand if the extraction was a bit traumatic to the site itself, 6 days may still be too early to start feeling better.
Dr. Alan Zweig
Prosthodontics 47 years experience
Yes : Yes it is possible that there small pieces of bone working there way out of your gums. This can especially happen if you have had multiple teeth removed and the bone contoured for dentures. It's good that it didnt happen on the top. I think you should call the clinic again to be seen. Are they aware that you are still in a lot of pain? Of course, if you lost your confidence in your present dentist a second opinion is a good idea. However, stick with your present clinic and see if they can help resolve your problem satisfactority.
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 43 years experience
See your dentist: See your dentist first. If you are not feeling better, or confident in your current dental office, seek another opinion. See an oral surgeon. Know that there are specialists for dentures -- prosthodontists.
Last updated Oct 4, 2016