I had hernia surgery at the belly button one week and a day ago. my pain has been increasing to the point i want to go to the er.

Dr. Francis Cannizzo
General Surgery 28 years experience
Get it checked: Pain after hernia repair is common but increasing pain may signal a wound infection or an early recurrence of the hernia possibly with intestine caught in it. While these are uncommon events (most umbilical hernias are straightforward and uncomplicated) they can happen and are important to identify and treat promptly. The best course of action is to return to your surgeon for a check.
Dr. David Earle
General Surgery 32 years experience
Call your surgeon: You need to call your surgeon's office and get it checked out. Even if your surgeon is not available, see a partner, or request a nurse visit. I'm sure they will readily take your call and check out your exam. Hope this helps!

Last updated May 4, 2016