Needing expert help. I have tmj, and my orthodontist is going to give me a twin block to keep my jaw forward?

Dr. Stuart Hoffman
29 years experience in Orthodontics
Are you sure?: Many patients that have "tmj" do not but have mfd (myfacial pain dysfunction). Regardless, its important to get tomograms of the joints to determine if its truly tmj. After such, using a splint to keep the bite open can assist in both tmd/mfd symptoms, unless there is severe active damage to the joint itself. I personally do not use twin blocks for these symptoms. I prefer upper splints.
Answered on Mar 31, 2015
1