Could paxil (paroxetine) and zoloft be taken together?

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Why?: I'm wondering why you'd want to take 2 drugs in the same class? Depending on the doses of each, it could result in serotonin syndrome. I recommend against this.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Yes: Yes, it is possible to take both of them together. However, the overall dose of each should be lowered since they will raise each others blood levels. Also, there remains a rare risk of serotonin syndrome and an increased incidence of difficulty reaching orgasm.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Provided original answer
I have only rarely resorted to combinations of SSRIs. Have never run into any difficulty with them and they have indeed been beneficial in treatment resistant obsessive-compulsive disorder when either drug had failed previously. I would not fault any clinician for giving it a try.
Nov 18, 2013
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Alianswered
Paxil/Zoloft: Not advised, since both belong to same group of Antidepressants (SSRIs).