how long before i should see improvement in my son with croup after getting steroid shot? how long should croup last

Dr. Michael P Vaughn
33 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Croup: Croup is typically caused by the parainfluenza virus and lasts 3-7 days however, some cases last up nto 2 weeks. If the symptoms are severe, a super-imposed bacterial infection may be present (staph) and might require antibiotics. Make sure you seek emergency care for any severe shortness of breath episodes that occur. You may also need more close evaluation by the pcp if symptoms are not improvin.
Answered on Oct 16, 2013