U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 48-year-old member asked:

i am almost sure i have a phobia how to get over it?

3 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Psychiatry 36 years experience
Work with a : Therapist who can guide you through your fear.
Dr. Christine Forest
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Understand it: Try to understand the best you can what exactly scares you. You may be able to read about mind over mood techniques on your own, if your phobia is not too intense. But ideally, working with a psychotherapist will be more effective and faster.
Dr. Victor Bonuel
Internal Medicine 38 years experience
Check out this link. Fear not, relax and enjoy life. http://m.helpguide.org/articles/anxiety/phobia-types-symptoms
Oct 19, 2013
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology 14 years experience
CBT: Seek a cognitive-behavioral therapist who specializes in phobias. One method they use is systematic desensitization which slowly and incrementally brings the person closer and closer to the thing they are afraid of in slow, graduated steps that help make the anxiety more tolerable.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A 34-year-old member asked:

How do I overcome my phobia of swallowing tablets?

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Philip Rosenblum
Family Medicine 28 years experience
I know a few tricks: There are a few tricks to swallowing pills: 1) try to practice with small candies, like m&m's or tic-tacs, 2) always take pills with a drink or water. Trying something sweet like orange juice can increase saliva and help you swallow. 3) you have no taste buds under your tongue, so if you place a bitter pill under your tongue and then swallow it with water or juice, you won't taste the pill at all.
A 34-year-old member asked:

What are common specific phobias?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Alfredo Soto
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Many: Some include a fear of spiders, a fear of snakes, a fear of altitudes, a fear of flying, a fear of being in large crowds, a fear of being in open spaces, a fear of being in closed and small spaces, and a fear of the number 13.
A 45-year-old member asked:

Are there specialists who deal with patiets who have phobias visiting doctors?

5 doctor answers15 doctors weighed in
Dr. Maritza Baez
Family Medicine 17 years experience
Yes: Look for a counselor who specializes in phobias or social anxiety.
A 45-year-old member asked:

I have phobia about visiting doctors. Need doctor who understands and will be patient. Does exist?

1 doctor answer6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Luke Hermann
Emergency Medicine 25 years experience
Yes: Two things to consider- a psychiatrist or psychologist can help you deal with the underlying phobia (freeing you to see whatever doctor you prefer). A kind, empathic physician, regardless of their specialty can care for you in a manner that makes the phobia tolerable. Unfortunately finding the latter is based primarily on word of mouth as these types of physician skills can't be measured easily.
A 32-year-old member asked:


2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Eric Anderson
Psychiatry 21 years experience
Phobia: Fear, often excessive, irrational, or maladaptive. It may lead to behaviors to avoid the object, situation, person, etc. Which invokes the fear.
Dr. Howard Gurr
Dr. Howard Gurr commented
Clinical Psychology 40 years experience
Phobias and anxieties respond well to Virtual Reality Therapy(VRT). VRT is exposure therapy in a safe environment. The research suggests VRT is 90% effective. Seek out a therapist who uses VRT in your area. You can find providers through www.psious.com, www.limbix.com, or www.virtuallybetter.com.
Oct 27, 2017

Related questions

A 46-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 34-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 38-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 39-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 35-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Sep 28, 2016

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.