U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 21-year-old member asked:

Can endometriosis be decisively diagnosed by pelvic exam?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Gynecology 41 years experience
Endo: The gold standard for the diagnosis of endometriosis is laparoscopy. On a personal note in the prescence of pain with menses and significant pain when I do my exam and stretch the uterosacral ligaments, i find endo at the time of laparoscopy about 90% of the time.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Kenan Omurtag
Obstetrics & Gynecology 16 years experience
Yes and no: On pelvic exam, nodules that are palpable on the ligaments that support the uterus can be highly suggestive of endometriosis especially in the setting of historic patient data (painful periods that improve while on birth control pills)...Ultimately, the "gold standard" diagnosis is visualization with laparoscopy but often times this can be misleading bc endo may not be superficially visible.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Similar questions

Lawrenceville, GA
A 24-year-old female asked:

Can endometriosis be determined by a pelvic exam?

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Gerard Honore
Fertility Medicine 30 years experience
Determined, no: Suspected maybe. It depends on a lot of things, including the extent and location of the endometriosis, how easy the woman is to examine (one case where being very skinny really helps), and the experience of the examiner. Good wishes.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 40-year-old member asked:
Endometriosis and exercise--which caused my pelvic pain?
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 22-year-old female asked:
What what show up on the pelvic ultra sound if you have endometriosis?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 47-year-old member asked:
I might have endometriosis. Will I have diagnosis if a pelvic laparoscopy?
5 doctor answers13 doctors weighed in
A 49-year-old member asked:
How can I get relief from my endometriosis and pelvic floor muscle dysfunction?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated Jul 27, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.