I don't love my husband, how do i tell him i want a divorce?

8 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Calvin Weisberger answered

Specializes in

Divorce: One could expect you to know your husband well enough to know how to breach this subject. Some people just walk out and file for divorce, some discuss the situation and work things out. Without knowing you both, specific approach that fits isn't highly probable from out here.

Answered 10/6/2013

4.8k views

Dr. Albert Pizzo answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Divorce: I advise you to have in depth counselng before making a decision of this magnitude.

Answered 10/6/2013

4.8k views

Dr. Anthony Vertino answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

Be honest: You may benefit from a session with a Psychologist to go over the best means of delivering this information. Often in these cases, I like to review some history to see if telling someone is potentially risky or dangerous and then develop a plan.

Answered 5/1/2016

3.6k views

Dr. Cara Nixon answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

Short and sweet: By short & sweet I mean direct & to the point. Similar to the way you phrased your question. He'll likely want a bit more explanation, but try not to get lost in the details by defending your decision. If you are not in love with him & you don't believe you can work on it together, say that. Be honest & respectful. It doesn't need to be a fight if you feel comfortable & secure in your decision.

Answered 1/16/2016

1.7k views