Gaston, SC
A 49-year-old female asked about a 55-year-old male:

I just took my husbands blood pressure and it is 159 over94 he is 55 never had blood pressure problems before what is to high? when should he go to e

Dr. Vicken Poochikian
Normal is up to 130: Normal blood pressure is different in different individuals, but the norm is that the upper should not be higher than 130, and lowe not higher than 80. Your husband 's pressure is high, but not an emergency now, must see his doctor soon to recheck and discuss treatment.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Clarence Grim
Endocrinology 58 years experience
BP too high. : A blood pressure that is too high is one in which it has been shown that lowering that level of BP by meds or diet prolongs life more and decreases risk of being disabled for the rest of your life or dying early. The person u cited is high enough to benefit if measured several times correctly over 2 months. Discuss home BP to help with decision to treat with Dr.
Last updated Dec 22, 2020