What are the causes of umbilical hernia?

Dr. Michael Sawyer
General Surgery 37 years experience
Multiple: The most common causes for an umbilical hernia include stretching and thinning of the abdominal wall with increased intraabdominal pressure. The classic examples are preganant women and obese people. Lack of exercise and abdominal wall atrophy is another cause. Previous incisions around the umbilicus can result in umbilical hernias as well.
Dr. Charles Breaux
Pediatric Surgery 40 years experience
Umbilical herniae...: Are frequently seen in babies and young kids. The abdominal wall forms from 4 leaves or folds that all come together at the umbilicus. In some babies, the process is not yet complete, leaving an umbilical hernia. The majority of these go on to close on their own in the first 3 to 4 years of life. If it persists to near school age, it will probably not spontaneously close, and surgery is indicated.
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Wound care 26 years experience
Umbilical cord. : Weakness where your umbilical cord was. Women who become pregnant. Men who develop beer bellies , anyone who does a lot of straining lifting. Smokers who cough a lot. Usually 40's to 50's they begin to show. Most often seen in adults though some babies may born with them. If painful or growing have it fixed. If stable for years and not painful , don't need to fix it.