U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Top answers from doctors based on your search:

What is the difference between hypertrophic scarring and a keloid

A 37-year-old member asked:
Dr. Suzanne Galli
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 25 years experience
Hypertrophic scar: A hypertrophic scar appears as a raised, red scar. A keloid is similar but extends beyond the boundary of the scar. There are treatments available to ... Read More

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
A 39-year-old member asked:
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology 48 years experience
More common in the: Black race; occasionally helped by steroid injections, but i see the ones that have failed, and those that have many. Removing the scar by a plastic/c... Read More
A 47-year-old member asked:
Dr. Rian Maercks
Plastic Surgery 19 years experience
Generally No: The data for silicone in scarring is very poor. It is mostly a waste of money. Fro some scars there are laser modalities that work well.
Dr. Thomas Fiala
Plastic Surgery 34 years experience
While it does: Work for hypertrophic scars, and there's plenty of scientific evidence from the burn and plastic surgery literature, it's not so great for keloid scar... Read More
A 45-year-old member asked:
Dr. Lawrence Colen
Plastic Surgery 47 years experience
Depends upon growth: Both keloid and hypertrophic scars look the same under the microscope. They differ by their growth characteristics. A hypertrophic scar is a scar that... Read More
A 43-year-old member asked:
Dr. Gary Tuma
Facial Plastic Surgery 26 years experience
Scars: The simple difference is hypertrophic scar is thickened raised scar within the boundary of the scar. Keloid by definition is thickened raised scar gr... Read More
A 22-year-old female asked:
Dr. Jessica Allan
Internal Medicine 24 years experience
Can't promise foreve: There are cosmetic surgeons and Keloid specialists who can treat your condition. However some people are prone to getting keloids. If it is a very sma... Read More
A 46-year-old member asked:
Dr. Glenn Messina
Aesthetic Medicine 36 years experience
Steroid injection: You can see a dermatologist to inject steroid and a low level chemo 5-FU into the scar this may shrink it. Other measures are resurfacing with lasers... Read More
A 35-year-old female asked:
Dr. Loretta Obi
A Verified Doctoranswered
Internal Medicine 16 years experience
It Depends.: The results of ScarGard can be seen within 2-3weeks depending on the age and severity of the scar.
A 25-year-old male asked:
Dr. Ed Friedlander
Pathology 45 years experience
Easy to tell: A true keloid has little serrations on its edge, like the "crab claw" for which it is named. These tend to get bigger over time. If it doesn't bother ... Read More
A 25-year-old male asked:
Dr. Donald Colantino
Internal Medicine 62 years experience
Ear lesion: I feel that a plastic surgeon is best qualified to evaluate this lesion and,if necessary, treat you.