Can I take birth control while breastfeeding?

Yes. Certain forms of hormonal birth control can decrease your milk supply and aren't recommended for breastfeeding mothers. However there are some progestin-only forms of birth control (pills, injections and iuds) that shouldn't affect your supply. Talk to your OB about what method might be right for you.
No. Moms breastfeeding young babies are recommended to use other birth control instead of oral contraceptives, in case the small amount of contraceptive hormone in the breastmilk can cause changes in a baby. After a baby is several months old, a doctor might approve a breastfeeding mom to take birth control pills (usually the progestin-only pills), if she cannot use another form of contraception.