U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 42-year-old member asked:

When can i take my first birth control pill after i stop breastfeeding?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Frank Yelian
Obstetrics and Gynecology 39 years experience
Anytime: After stop your breastfeeding, you may resume ovulation soon. If you do not want to conceive, taking bcp is good option. Since you do not know when you will resume your menstrual period, it is ok to start bcp at anytime. It will help your period to starts after you taking the placebo pills.

Similar questions

A 49-year-old member asked:

How to know when do I take my first birth control pill after stopping breastfeeding?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Anne Hale
A US doctor answeredLearn more
Right away.: If you have not been having a menses since you were breastfeeding, then i would recommend a pregnancy test before starting them.
A 37-year-old member asked:

Can I take birth control pills while breastfeeding?

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Gynecology 44 years experience
Yes: During breastfeeding, you can use progesterone-only birth control pills. You should avoid estrogen containing pills because they can decrease your milk supply. Other Progesterone only forms of contraception that are useful postpartum are depo-provera, the Implanon implant, and the levonorgesterol iud.
A 31-year-old female asked:

Can i take the birth control pill while breastfeeding?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Michael Kelber
Family Medicine 27 years experience
Sometimes: If you are taking a Progesterone only birth control pill, you should be able to take that while nursing. Best to check with your doctor and get his/her advice.
Last updated Sep 28, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.