I want to do martial arts but mom says they are not ladylike. What if I need to defend myself?

Dr. Alvin Lin
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: Try different tactic
Martial arts has nothing to do w/being ladylike.
If that's her concern, you'll never convince her otherwise. Instead, explain how practicing martial arts will develop your physical fitness, strength & endurance. It will improve your discipline & help you set & reach goals. It will develop your self-confidence. All these are important qualities for men & women. In addition to defending yourself!

In brief: Try different tactic
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Jeffrey Albright
Integrative Medicine
In brief: Reframe it
Self-Defense and martial arts are often not one and the same.
Martial arts focus on personal development, and etiquette. What could be more lady-like than learning proper etiquette, respect, propriety, etc. Martial arts can be a wonderful form of healthy exercise. To be able to defend oneself, specific training may have to be emphasized.

In brief: Reframe it
Dr. Jeffrey Albright
Dr. Jeffrey Albright
I am so sad for you if your mother won't let you do martial arts for that reason. Just reading this brings me down. I hope your mother would be willing to look at all the positives that can come from martial arts and to reconsider. Take care.
In brief: Show her...
If you are able to do so, bring her to an intro self-defense lesson for her to experience for herself.
It may change her mind. You may want to also show to her that there are so many styles of martial arts. If she is insistent on it not being "ladylike", it may be that her perception may be of the hard styles and MMA and not soft styles. You are 35, no need to get mom's OK...go for it!

In brief: Show her...
Dr. Grace Torres-hodges
Dr. Grace Torres-hodges
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine