A member asked:

My husband has gout. its now moved to his fingers. he normally gets the attack in his big toe. he now has a pussy growth on his index finger. can we pop it?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Gurmukh Singh answered

Specializes in Pathology

It is not feasible to provide a meaningful opinion without additional history, physical examination and may be some tests. Purulent discharge suggests infection overlaying gout. It would be prudent to see a doctor. Wish you good health!

Answered 3/24/2021


Dr. Kevin Watson answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

I would not suggest popping this. This is often called tophaceous gout. This can present with crystals that can bulge and leak out of the joint/skin. You should see a rheumatologist or orthopedic surgeon to evaluate.

Answered 3/31/2021



Related Questions

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question

Meet your new favorite doctor