A member asked:

Can primary care doctors test my bloody urine to make sure it isn't cancer, or do i need to see a specialist?

5 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Chris Kyle answered

Specializes in Urology

No: If you have blood in the urine, you need a complete workup: 1. Upper tract imaging -- most commonly a ct urogram. 2. Urine test for cytology (look for cancer cells) 3. Flexible cystoscopy to look at the bladder #1-2 can be ordered by pcp, but cystoscopy is only done by a urologist.

Answered 7/2/2013


Dr. Richard Bensinger answered

Specializes in Ophthalmology

Needs evaluation: Blood in the urine can come from a variety of sources of which cancer is only one. Your primary care doc is a good start if this is your first symptom but do not delay in starting a work up.

Answered 7/20/2012



Related Questions

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question