U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 32-year-old female asked:

My husband had a vasectomy back in 09. now we want to have a child but do not want a reversal. how do we proceed?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Clarene Cress
Specializes in Pediatrics
Consider donor: artificial insemination. Men usually continue to make sperm, but there is no reliable way to harvest them after a vascectomy, unless he had the foresight to have sperm frozen before the surgery. Your gynecologist should be able to assist you with this. Some couples adopt or find being foster parents very rewarding as well.
Dr. Jalal Zuberi
Pediatrics 46 years experience
Give yourself chance: Read below to redouble efforts to become pregnant by natural means.. "nearly two years since my husband's vasectomy, we had our fifth child! His urologist said that although the procedure was done properly, snipped and cauterized, one set managed to grow back together. And yes, this is ABSOLUTELY his baby, lol!! My biggest fear is telling everyone!! Other procedures include sperm retrieval etc

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 8, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.