U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Menlo Park, CA
A 27-year-old male asked about a 23-year-old female:

My wife's period has been getting longer. it is now 40 days. is this dangerous? is there anything she can do other than take oral contraceptives?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Oscar Novick
Pediatrics 59 years experience
Period: Your wife might benefit from an examination from her gynecologist to determine why her period has changed.
Dr. Norberto Allende-jimenez
Specializes in General Practice
Most likely she is in the appropriate treatment for (HMB) heavy menstruated bleeding. I would monitor with your physician her hemoglobin levels at this point. Reevaluate when your PCP or OBGYN decides it's needed.
Mar 4, 2014
Last updated Mar 4, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.