My 11 year old daughter just admitted to me that she wants to kill herself to prevent her father and i getting a divorce. how can i help her?

10 doctors weighed in across 5 answers

Counseling: Being the father of a 10 and 12 year old, your question jumped out at me. I do not think i can give you any useful advice in the 400 characters I am allotted here, but i wanted to respond and strongly suggest you look for a family therapist in your area. A quick google search revealed there are at least a couple. The right person can help you and your daughter work through this. Good luck.

Answered 4/18/2016

4.9k views

Get help now: Best would be for your whole family to get counseling for reconciliation or divorce management. That depends on the emotional state of the parents to help their child. Since life threatening events need to be taken seriously i would recommend for both parents if possible to take her to the emergency room asap. They can direct her and the family to the best care.

Answered 9/20/2013

4.9k views

Love: Showing her how much you both love her is very important but she probably needs professional counseling and possibly medications. Don't hesitate to get her help.

Answered 1/30/2014

4.9k views

Take her seriously: When a child talks of suicide, take this seriously. Get professional help immediately. This should not be taken lightly and should not be handled by just you or your husband. Get counselling - your pediatrician is a good place to start. Good luck.

Answered 9/14/2013

4.9k views

Dr. Anthony Vertino answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

Seek a Dr: I would seek a Psychiatrist and Psychologist for treatment. She is obviously desperate and wanting the two of you together. Her actions will most likely not prevent a divorce, she just doesn't recognize it.

Answered 5/14/2016

3.6k views