U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 35-year-old member asked:

What would be a good treatment for secondary hyperparathyroidism?

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. S. Smiley Thakur
Nephrology and Dialysis 32 years experience
Vit D analogue: Not regular vitamin d. You need calcitiriol, zemplar, or Hectorol which are already partially activated and don't require the kidney's final hydroxylation step to make them work.
Dr. Jack Rubin
Nephrology and Dialysis 49 years experience
Hyperparathyroid Tx: There are 2 major ways to treat second hyperparathyroidism (shpt). One is with vit d analouges, zemplar or hectorol. The problem with them is that they also increase levels of calcium (c) and phosphorous (p). If these are high, you can use sensipar (s) which will lower PTH levels with no increase in c or p levels. If your PTH level is > 500, you will probably need s to lower it effectively.
Dr. Yash Khanna
Family Medicine 58 years experience
Treat the cause: Secondary hyperparathyroidism is seen in Chronic Kidney Failure.If you treat the kidney failure the hyperparathyroidism will improve Other causes are Chronic Pancreatitis,Small Bowel Disease and post Bariatric Surgery Treat the cause low calcium with Calcium and Vitamin D Supplement
Last updated Nov 27, 2017
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.