U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 30-year-old member asked:

How to tell if it is deep vein thrombosis or calf muscular pain and tendonitis?

2 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Gabriel Goren
A Verified Doctoranswered
59 years experience
That is a good: Question as sometimes it is clinically difficult for us too the physicians. To be sure one can do a blood test called d-dimer test but the best and with immediate results is an ultrasound duplex test. That will immediately show if clot is there or not. Trauma can cause clots and muscle pain. So, for a sudden calf pain one has to see a doctor asap as a clot may need specific attention.
Dr. John Landi
Phlebology 48 years experience
Ultrasound of veins: It is sometimes very difficult to distinguish between DVT and calf muscular pain simply by physical findings or history. The definitive diagnostic test is a venous duplex ultrasound which will show the veins behind the knee (popliteal) to see if there is a clot.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Related questions

A 20-year-old female asked:
3 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
A 38-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 39-year-old member asked:
4 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
A 47-year-old member asked:
4 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 24-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
Last updated Oct 31, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.